Monday, May 17, 2010

Michigan's Rima Fakih Wins Miss USA Pageant

She's an Arab American whose family celebrates both Christian and Muslim holidays. She went to a Catholic school and believes that birth control should be covered by insurance just like any other medication.  Do you think it ever occurred to her that medication corrects something that has gone wrong? Pregnancy occurs when something has gone right. Stopping pregnancy is not medicine. CBS has more

Donald Trump is the sponsor of this pageant. There are a few major pageants and I've had the pleasure of interviewing a number of the winners or runners-up over the years especially in the late 80s and early 90s. My memory is that I was generally impressed with those who came on the program.
I don't remember why I stopped interviewing them or even paying enough attention to consider it. Was it the questions asked of contestants changed or the contestants' answers changed or if I was just more aware of Christian participants years ago. Has something changed?

5 comments:

  1. Kresta: "Pregnancy occurs when something has gone right."

    I'm a glass half full kind of guy, so I thought of pregnancy as a result of rape.

    Al will demur and say that the "something" refers to the creation of precious human life, not the means by which that life came about.

    I respond by noting the conception of Adolf Hitler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Kresta is absolutely correct. "The Pill" is a medication given to a woman to make her reproductive system, that is working as it was desinged to do, to not work. What other medication can you think of that directly intends to make void a system in the human anatomy? Not only does it contaminate the female body in countless ways, but it has a direct impact on our environment through our water supply. And yes, all human life is precious - it is what we do with it that makes it noble or not. So whether I am or am not born of the product of rape does not give me my nobility or preciousness, but that I am - made in the image and likeness of God gives me nobility. We can all come up with many people who have done unspeakable things to others, but it is not by the nature one is born, but of those things that a person allows to rule their life, such as hate. That is where evil is born.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mauman,
    Good to hear from you. You came up in a conversation today and I commented on how we hadn't heard from you for awhile. I don't think I've read anything of yours since our Crick/Schaeffer exchanges.

    Yes, you anticipated my response. Being is preferable to non-being even in cases where life is conceived through illicit or immoral means.

    Al

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being is preferable to non-being? Don't tell me you're convinced by Anselm's ridiculous (but clever) ontological argument.

    Let's see:
    An actual torturer is preferable to a fictional torturer.
    Actual torture is preferable to fictional torture.
    An actual small pox virus is preferable to no small pox virus.
    Actual flesh eating bacteria is preferable to no flesh eating bacteria.
    A real Josef Mengele is preferable to no Josef Mengele.
    Actual Hell is preferable to the mere concept of Hell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is preferable that Hannibal Lecter be a fictional character rather than a real life person.

    Correction to my first comment: I meant too say that I'm a glass half empty kind of guy: a pessimist, cynic, downer, misanthrope, gloomy gus, skeptic, doubting Thomas.

    ReplyDelete