Thursday, March 10, 2011

GOP 2012 Hopefuls On What They Are Giving Up For Lent

By Chris Moody - The Daily Caller

The 40-day period of sacrifice before Easter began Wednesday, and some Republican presidential hopefuls plan to whip their way around Iowa and New Hampshire without some of the things they love most.

Catholics, Southern Baptists, Mormons, Born-again Christians and a Lutheran have floated the possibility that they’ll run against President Obama this year. Although Lent is typically a tradition for observing Catholics, The Daily Caller asked if they’re planning to give anything up. Here’s what some of them said:

Fmr. Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin (Non-denominational born-again Christian): “I do observe Lent, and my family and I have traditionally sacrificed something during these weeks leading up to Easter Sunday. When I was growing up, my Irish Catholic grandfather would remind me that sacrifices offered up during Lent are to be like tithing — if you advertise your ’sacrifice’ and tithe then you negate any spiritual gains. (Or maybe he’d say that because he didn’t want us to know what he gave up!)”

Palin is a protestant, but she told TheDC that her “Catholic baptism and Catechism classes have stuck with me internally.”

Fmr. Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (Southern Baptist): “I think as Baptists we find it hard to give up anything, I’m trying to be a little more health-conscious, I have been less so than I should have been. So that is my primary project right now. ”

Fmr. Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum (Catholic): “I have a regular routine for Lent of attending mass at least 3 times a week plus stations of the cross on Fridays. I also refrain from eating the foods I enjoy the most – all types of breads and sweets.”

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich (Catholic): “Dessert,” Gingrich spokesman Rick Tyler told TheDC.

Former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson (Raised Lutheran) : “Mr. Johnson will not be observing Lent,” a spokesman said.

3 comments:

  1. What will Obama be giving up for Lent?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this our Catholic future? Future candidates who believe in bombing vastly inferior countries with our shameless shock and awe mentality? People like Newt Gingrich who promote the terror and blitz bombing that has devastated Iraq and Afghanastan? Oh yes,they know how to claim to be pro-life and anti-gay.They know what we Catholics want to hear.But their agenda lies in torture,fear and military might.Have you all so quickly forgotten what John Paul warned you about?..elliot

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me remind everyone that Elliot is a regular poster who always has the same thing to say and despite repeated offers for him to come on the air and defend his positions, he continually refuses and instead sits at his computer and lobs bombs onto the blog. The offer stands elliot if you are man enough. I'm not sitting on the edge of my seat though.

    ReplyDelete