Friday, January 13, 2012

Today on "Kresta in the Afternoon" for January 13, 2012

Talking about the "things that matter most" on Jan. 13

4:00 – 6:00 – Direct to My Desk: How to be political without losing your soul
On today’s program we take the full two hours to allow you to call in and let you set the agenda and ask the questions or raise the issues that matter most to you. One topic we will discuss one cure for election madness. Mark DeMoss, concerned about the increasingly harsh tone of public discourse, launched the Civility Project in January 2009. The Republican businessman and political adviser enlisted Democratic lobbyist and former Clinton aide Lanny Davis to help him. Together the two friends wrote to all 100 United States Senators, all 435 members of the House of Representatives, and all 50 state governors, asking each to sign a pledge promising, "I will be civil in my public discourse and behavior. I will be respectful of others whether or not I agree with them. I will stand against incivility when I see it." How many of the 585 recipients agreed? Three. We ask why.

1 comment:

  1. They won't sign it because they all hate each other. It's a very sad state of affairs. Should the federal government handle programs or state and local? Should the government have a balanced budget or not? Should we allow for private savings accounts for Social Security? And probably the hotest, shoudl abortion be legal or not and if so, is it health care and should we be giving $500 million of tax payer dollars to Planned Parenthood to perform them. The political divide has gotten wider in the last 3 years, not closer. There is constant talk of the 1% and the other 99%. It's all I hear at our factory. The class warfare has heated up beyond belief. People talking about management as if they are dogs and don't care about the people in the factory, without any claims or facts, it's just said. Heck, we've even, through the media, announced Mitt as a nominee and he has 12 out of the 144 votes needed to be selected. 12!, Ron Paul has 10 and Rick Santorum has 7. Sounds like the race is just beginning, not over. My point is, the media and politicians are in the business of telling people how to think because people don't want to think for themselves anymore. I don't think it will get any better for decades. We've got Roe V. Wade on the highest law document of the land, next will be the redefinition of marriage. I wonder how much more God will take before the US is taken apart in peaces. Those who don't know history, are doomed to repeated it...salvation history that is. God Bless and sorry to sound so negative.