Thursday, December 15, 2011

Michigan House approves charter school bill



(MichiganRadio.OrgThe state House has approved a measure that would allow an unlimited number of university-sponsored K-12 charter schools to operate in Michigan by the year 2015.


The proposal would lift the cap on university charters over a couple years, eventually eliminating the restriction on the number of charters altogether.


Democratic state Representative Steven Lindberg says that could lead to more failing public schools if charter schools are allowed to interview and hand-pick their students.


“It saddens me, because I see us going back to a time when we’re going to have separate but unequal education in this country.”


The measure would require universities to consider county populations and the number of kids in an area that are on charter school waiting lists before opening a new charter school.


Republican state Representative Deb Shaughnessy is on the House Education Committee.


“Many people have tried to paint this legislation as an attack on traditional public schools. I vehemently reject that portrayal. I don’t buy it, and I urge you not to either. I graduated from public school, and so did my children, and my children are leading very productive and successful lives.”


The measure now heads back to the state Senate for final approval.

1 comment: